You’ve been out on the open waters and paddle boarding all day. You’re back on land and need to secure your board so no one can steal it while you grab a quick bite. Tying it to something with rope or bungee cords seems risky. So, what are you supposed to do?
In this guide, we will show you how to lock up a paddle board and cover the best lock options. While all of these methods offer different levels of protection and convenience, each has characteristics that you may want to be aware of before deciding which one is the best one for you.
How To Lock Your Paddle Board to Any Object
The best way to lock up your board depends on where it will be stored and what best suits your needs. Below, I will discuss the best freestanding locks and where they are available.
You can use each of these locks to store your paddle board outside or in any enclosed space.
All of these options include a paddle board lock that attaches directly to your board. This type of paddle board lock is typically inexpensive, so you don’t have to worry about spending too much on a locking system.
DocksLocks is one of the most popular companies making locking mechanisms for paddle boards. These locks use a key-like clamp that attaches to any metal bar or ring located on your paddle board’s deck.
Once the clamp is attached, slide a cable or lock through the ring located at the end of the clamp. Once it is secured and a cable is connected, you will be able to latch your board to your vehicle or any object.
This easy locking system allows you to move your board around and lock it to anything that is close. It’s the perfect choice for attaching your paddleboard to something stationary, like a post or dock.
A cleat that slides into a fin box for easy use is also available for purchase with the premium package.
- Easy to use and works like a bike lock.
- Allows you to lock your paddleboard to different locations.
- Can lock to any metal bar or ring on your board.
- You can use any cable, lock, or cord of your choosing. The premium version comes with its own cable. If you have your own cord, you can purchase just the locking clamp for only $29.95.
- Available on Amazon.
- The clamp can be difficult to maneuver.
- You have to purchase the premium version to get the cleat and cable.
If you don’t want to deal with all of the extra hardware, you can purchase a fin box lock.
FinBoxLocks include only two metal flanges that slide into each other. Once the pieces are connected, place a lock or cable inside of the hole, and you are ready to go.
- This option is relatively inexpensive. You can add your own cord and lock for just a few dollars.
- The metal pieces fit all standard fin boxes.
- The process can be pretty easy once you figure out the steps.
- Allows you to quickly lock up your paddle board.
- The directions can be challenging to follow.
- Locks and cables can be difficult to insert into the lock’s small holes
How To Lock Your Paddle Board to Your Car
If you’re driving to your paddleboard destination, locking your board to your car can be a great option.
Before making a decision, you should first think about the type of paddle board lock that will work best for you and your activity level. Tailor your needs to fit where the paddleboard is going to stay most often.
If you know that your vehicle will be around you at all times, we suggest choosing one of the options below. These devices allow you to lock your paddle board firmly in place onto the top of your car without any hassle.
KanuLock is a well-known paddle board company trusted by many. These tie-down straps will keep your paddle board securely tied to the top of your car.
They are also great for transporting your paddle board and will keeping it from moving and sliding while you drive. You will no longer have to worry about taking turns and hitting any bumps.
Each KanuLock Tie-down Strap is embedded with stainless steel reinforcements. This durable material makes these straps almost, if not impossible to cut through.
- These straps are pretty inexpensive and work well with all paddle boards.
- This method is lightweight and easy to use and store.
- The straps are versatile, and you can use them with any outdoor equipment.
- The locks use a key. If the key is lost, it will be tough to get your board off the roof of your car.
- Fastening the straps can be time-consuming and require more time than the other available options.
Thule SUP Taxi
The Thule SUP Taxi is a paddle board rack that locks your board onto the top of your vehicle. The lock secures the board on both sides so that your board can’t be stolen or tampered with.
This rack is easy to use and works well. Its versatile design making your board easy to transport in almost every weather condition.
Several options are available on the Thule website, allowing you to choose the one that is best suited for your lifestyle.
- Easy to install
- Expandable and can hold a variety of sizes
- The carrier can be used to lock down one to two paddle boards
- The racks keep your paddle board from making direct contact with your vehicle.
- This method only works well with standup paddle boards
- Your vehicle must have roof rack cross bars to install the carrier
- You must have the carrier’s key to lock and unlock the straps
- More expensive than some of the other options
Lockrack offers two different paddle board carriers that attach to the roof of your car. Each carrier comes with two racks that are designed to fit most paddle boards. The Universal XL Water Carrier that they offer allows you to store up to two paddle boards.
The carrier is easy to install and use, even for those who have never installed a similar device before.
- Adjustable base that can hold paddle boards of different sizes
- Universal adapters that allow the rack to fit any size of cross bars
- More expensive than some of the other options
- This option only works well with standup paddle boards. Inflatable boards are easy to maneuver out of the locking device and steal.
- For extra security, you can also use straps to secure your paddle board to your vehicle.
Which Type Of Lock Will You Choose For Your Paddle Board?
There are many ways to lock your paddle board, but each option has its own pros and cons. Some of the paddle board locks available on the market can be relatively expensive and may not offer adequate protection for all paddle board types. It is essential to do your research and find the best one that works for you.
We hope that this guide has provided you with useful information on the different paddle board locks available on the market and how to choose one that will work for your needs.