Not sure what size paddle board you need? Are you having difficulties deciding due to the many types of boards and sizes? We understand your concerns and are here to help! That is why this blog will walk you through you options step-by-step to unsure that you find the perfect paddle board.
- Paddle Board Dimensions You Need To Know:
- How to Choose the Right Paddle Board Size?
- How To Choose Length Of Paddle Board?
- How To Choose Width Of Paddle Board?
- Are There Any Paddle Board Thickness Requirements?
- What Is the Right Size Paddle Board for Beginners?
- What Is The Right Size Paddle Board For Intermediate & Advanced Paddle Boarders?
- How To Find Your Perfect Size Paddle Board?
Paddle Board Dimensions You Need To Know:
Before you get started at looking for a SUP you will need to know what a each of the dimensions mean. Here are the different dimensions that will be used for most paddle boards:
- Length: it will add the measurement in inches from tip to tail
- Volume: it will measure the board’s buoyancy in the liters
- Thickness: it will cover the distance between your board’s bottom and top
- Width: It is the measurement of your board side to side
How to Choose the Right Paddle Board Size?
When it comes to picking the right paddle board size, your weight and skill level will be the key determining factors.
When the weight is below 200lbs, users can consider a standard paddle board. If the weight is around 235lbs, you should go with the one that has a minimum of 175L of volume. The 175L volume will support your weight while offering the required stability on the water.
When the weight is more than 275lbs, you should choose the one with 242L of volume. If the weight is more than 300lbs, go with 272L volume to get great stability. If you choose the wrong size, you will be unstable and slow on the water.
How To Choose Length Of Paddle Board?
Next, we will focus on the length. Length is as important as weight since it will enable you to withstand different water conditions. When the longer ones will be faster, shorter ones will be more maneuverable. You can choose the right length depending on your planned paddle boarding. Let’s make it a bit easier for you.
Paddle Boards under Ten Feet
- Great for SUP Surfing
- Easy to maneuver and take bottom burns and cutbacks. It is easy to turn around
- Features a planing hull
- Perfect for up to thirteen years
Paddle Boards under Eleven Feet
- Great for beginners as well as experienced
- Most popular one
- Ideal for Yoga, recreational paddling, and SUP Fishing
- Perfect for all-around use
- Features either displacement hulls or planing hulls
Paddle Boards of Twelve Feet & Above
- Great for experienced
- Features a displacement hull
- Best for SUP Racing and long-distance boarding
- Faster and better trackability
How To Choose Width Of Paddle Board?
The width will also have a determining role to find the right size depending on your specific needs. The width needs to be between 30 and 35 inches range. Most hard and inflatable SUPs will have between 32 and 34 inches of width. If you are a beginner, you can go with the 32-34 range. If you are advanced, you can choose the 30-32 range. But some companies manufacture multi-person boards. These are 45-56 inches since they are made for five to seven riders.
Are There Any Paddle Board Thickness Requirements?
The thickness will also have a role. You will find a noticeable difference when it comes to the thickness between hard paddle boards and inflatable paddle boards. Mostly, inflatable boards are six inches thick. However, the epoxy SUPs will be four inches thick.
What Is the Right Size Paddle Board for Beginners?
If you are a beginner, you will have to choose a lasting and easy to ride paddle board. Make sure that the board is specifically designed for beginners. Also, if you have any plan to enjoy your water adventure with your pet or kids, consider their weight. Let’s know how to choose the best paddle board for beginners.
- Perfect board for beginners: 170-190L volume range
- Perfect inflatable paddle board for beginners: 220L -280L volume range
What Is The Right Size Paddle Board For Intermediate & Advanced Paddle Boarders?
If you are experienced, you can consider one with less volume. As almost all inflatable boards are designed for different skill levels, you will not have the problem to find the right size. Let’s have a look at different styles of paddle boards.
- SUP Yoga
- SUP Surfing
- SUP Fishing
- SUP Touring
First, know your weight and volume range and then you can check the leading companies to find out the right product. You can also check the rider capacity to know that specific board is perfect for you or not. If you want to enjoy your water adventure with someone, you will have to consider it while checking the weight capacity.
How To Find Your Perfect Size Paddle Board?
These are the considerations you will have to think of when choosing the right size paddle board that can support your unique needs and lifestyle. If you still need help figuring out the correct sizing try using our Paddle Board Size Calculator. This tool will help you get an estimate of what size board in length and volume.